One of the most common complaints as we age, nearly universal among adults, is back pain. There are plenty of causes of back pain, but the ailment is the same among almost all of us. Too often and for too long, the most frequent treatments for this pain has been medications. However, this seeks more to treat the pain rather than the cause of the issue itself. Addressing the root cause is the focus of chiropractors, who have a long history of treating the spine. However, the back and spine is just the surface of what chiropractors can treat. With a wide variety of techniques at the ready, those seeking a Camberwell chiropractic clinic can see improvement in a wide range of areas.
The Benefits of Treating the Back and Spine
The back and spine is very much the specialty of chiropractors, and they have many treatments to improve many painful or debilitating conditions.
- Low Back Pain: A recent study showed that at least 80% of adults will complain of low back pain at some point in their lives, to some degree. Often, this is treated with simple topical treatments like heat or ice or medications. However, the cause of this pain can often be a spine not in alignment. Chiropractors will perform an assessment to try to examine how spinal adjustments can be made to remedy the problem and alleviate the pain.
- Neck Pain: In today’s modern world, the amount of time spent working on computers can cause substantial neck pain. Who hasn’t woken up with a terribly painful neck after a long day at the desk and just attributed it to “sleeping funny?” Chiropractors also treat the top of the spinal column, which goes into the neck and the base of the skull. These adjustments here can alleviate neck pain and prevent future symptoms.
- Posture Improvement: Plenty of us have postures that can use improvements. Over time, our spine can conform to our poor posture, exacerbating the problem or making it a more permanent part of our lives. With chiropractic adjustments, posture can improve, also reducing back pain and making physical activity more comfortable.
- Sciatic Pain: Less common but certainly quite painful, a problem in the sciatic nerve, located near the base of the spine, can cause severe pain radiating through the lower parts of the body. This is another ailment often treatable through the use of chiropractic.
Other Supportive Care Offered by Chiropractors
While the back and spine are the primary focus of chiropractors, many other issues can be assisted with complementary care offered in most clinics.
- Joint Pain: Chiropractors are known best for their spinal adjustments, but they treat many other areas as well. Most joints can be treated with chiropractic adjustments. These can include ankles, hips, shoulders, elbows and more.
- Pregnancy: The gestation period offers many changes to women’s bodies. Chiropractors can perform safe and individual adjustments for pregnant patients to ease the pain and increase comfort during pregnancy.
- Arthritis: Inflammation and arthritis can be some of the most uncomfortable parts of ageing. Regular chiropractic adjustments can alleviate the worst of these symptoms.
As time passes, the mainstream recognition of chiropractics has shown massive benefits for patients seeing a practitioner regularly. The benefits of seeing a chiropractor have an incredible effect on pain and overall quality of life.